Theory of Mind
- The ability to attribute thoughts or mental states to others. Necessary to believe that others have beliefs, desires, perspectives, etc. that differ from one's own.
- Crucial for social interactions, planning, etc.
- Theory of mind is an important component of consciousness, because it implies self-awareness.
- Learns and develops as you grow. Some conditions (autism) may impair this cognitive skill.
- Necessary for [[!Empathy]]?
- Debated whether animals can or do develop theory of mind (see Animal consciousness).
- Not to be confused with the [[!Philosophy of Mind]]